Sunday, June 20, 2010

RIJSTTAFEL TIME!




"The Indonesian Rijsttafel, a Dutch word that literally translates to "rice table", is an elaborate meal adapted by the Dutch from the Indonesian feast called nasi padang. It consists of many (forty is not an unusual number) side dishes served in small portions, accompanied by rice prepared in several different ways. Popular side dishes include egg rolls, sambals, satay, fish, fruit, and vegetables. In most areas where it is served, such as Indonesia, the Netherlands, and other areas of heavy Dutch influence (such as parts of the West Indies), it is known under its Dutch name.
Brought back to the Netherlands by former colonials and exiled Indonesians after Indonesia gained its independence in 1945, the rijsttafel was predominantly popular with Dutch families with colonial roots."

A little bit of history here. My Grandfather who was born in the Netherlands, grew up in Indonesia while his parents (my great grandparents) were Christian missionaries there. During that time, World War II happened and my grandfather, his mother, and his siblings were all held in a concentration camp in Indonesia while his father (my great grandfather) was sent to a labor camp on a completely different island. Once the war ended, it took another year for my great grandparents to find each other. A great movie about these events is, "Paradise Road". While the Dutch culture is big in my family, we also value the Indonesian culture because of it's significance in our family history.

Growing up, my dad always cooked Indonesian food for us kids. It was important for him to pass down the recipes that his father ate while living in Holland and Indonesia. It's been a long time since I've had the popular, "Gado-Gado" dinner dish, or the "Krupuk" chips. Today, it being Father's Day and all, I decided to make Rijsttafel for "B" and friends.

I was in the kitchen cooking for more than 4 hours! I've made most of these dishes before but never all at once, and let's just say my calling was not to be a chef! I was so caught up with the cooking and entertaining that I only took 2 pictures. I wasn't meant to be a photographer either because I took the picture of the food which happened to turn out a little blurry, while "K" took the picture of the tulips. What's a Dutch dinner without tulips? I don't think the pictures do Rijsttafel justice but it'll have to do until the next time I do a Dutch dinner. As for the food, it was a hit! There were no leftovers and everyone asked when I was going to do it again. I do have to give props to "B" who grilled the meat for me. As for dessert, I left that menu to the 2 kids, "lil B (13)" and "K (12)". They decided on Chocolate Chip cookies... not really a Dutch/Indonesian type of food, but I'm not one to argue over cookies!

I used to do dinner parties all the time with friends, and I miss it! I had so much fun with all the people last night. It was a very casual environment, with food, wine, lively conversation, followed by a game of Pictionary, which "B, K and I" lost to "D, M and lil B". I've discussed this with a couple different friends lately and we've all said the same thing. It's harder to make new friends once you get older. So it's nice to find new people who I enjoy being around and already made plans to meet up with "M" to go shopping.

1 comment: