Saturday, July 3, 2010

Busy Day







Yesterday was such a busy day for me. I had to make 2 cakes, a fancy Dutch dinner, celebrate a friends birthday and I had to squeeze in some pool time. It's a rough life but someone has to do it. While the first cake was baking, I went out to the pool and played some volleyball with "B's" kids. That's pretty much the extent of my multi-tasking abilities. I made 2 round confetti cakes and layered them using chocolate frosting. Then I broke Kit Kat bars in half and arranged them around the outside of the cake. I then poured pink M&M's on top of the cake and tied a ribbon around the Kit Kats.

I tried making a Poker cake like the one picture in a previous post but I'm scared of using Fondant frosting. So I just frosted a chocolate cake with white frosting and did diamonds, hearts, clubs and spade cut outs using fondant frosting. I also cut out rectangles that I'll be turning into cards today and hopefully it'll be a good enough poker cake for the guys tonight.

Right after making those 2 cakes, I had to make a fancy Dutch dinner for "B's" kids because it was their last night before leaving to Maui for a week and they wanted Gado-Gado for dinner. There are many versions of it out there and last night was my first time making it with bean sprouts and I have to say, I loved the extra crunch! And of course all 3 of them loved the peanut sauce. I swear something is wrong with that family, they love peanut butter way too much! Anyways, what Gado-Gado consists of is basically a vegetable salad with peanut sauce as the dressing. This time I used bean sprouts, spinach leaves, cabbage, chicken, hard boiled eggs (thats a must every time), and uncooked sliced cucumbers (also a must have). The peanut sauce is a combination of peanut butter, soy sauce, coconut milk and other spices. As a side dish we had Krupuks, which are a shrimp cracker. The kids love saying the word in Dutch and also love making the Krupuks. It comes as a dehydrated chip that you put into hot oil and it fries up into a cracker. It kind of has the same texture as a pork rind but doesn't taste nasty. And after that heavy dinner, we had a fruit kabob dessert with grapes, pineapple, cantaloupe, and strawberries.

After dinner I played Super Mario Kart on the old school Super Nintendo console with "Lil B" and "K". Those poor kids had no clue what hit them. I'm not one to brag, but I kick ass with that game. I think "Lil B" was getting pissed because he kept losing to a girl. It's funny because who ever I play against, I can always kick their butts, except for 2 people... my older brothers. No matter how hard I tried as a kid, I just couldn't do it. "B's" was even amazed at how good I was and how I knew all the "secret tricks" to the game.

After we dropped the kids off at their mothers, we went to a friends birthday party which was being held at Sandbar in Scottsdale, AZ. This is my favorite place for birthdays. Our friends and I have a "hookup" that works there, so anytime we want a private Cabana it's only a phone call away. It also helps that the cabanas come with a free $100 bottle of Vodka! It's called Sandbar because it's just like a bar on the beach, sand and all. I think it's funny to watch all the girls who wear heels and try to walk their drunk butts through the sand. A great time was had by all, including me who was sipping on my Tuaca and Redbull and got grilled by everyone in our group about "B". Apparently they are not happy with my answer of "we're just friends". They all met "B" over a year and a half ago when we were dating and they all like him and want to know what's going on with us. When they asked who I was going home with that night, I pointed to "B" and they all laughed and said we were a couple... meanwhile "B" was sitting there with a half smile enjoying my torture. When we were driving home, he said that he always has a lot of fun with my friends when we go to Sandbar.

With a busy day like that, someone please explain to me why I was awake at 6am?!

1 comment:

  1. Tuaca and Redbull... takes me back to our Caffe days and the Tuaca machine. :) And, your cake is be-u-ti-ful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete