Sunday, July 10, 2011

Monsoon Season

Last Tuesday a HUGE dust storm hit. I'm not talking just some wind that knocked down trees or anything like that. I'm talking Sahara Desert, horror film deserted streets shit. It was so bad that in some places the visibility was zero! I was at a friends house when it hit and there was no way in hell I was driving home in it so I spent the night there. The next morning my car was SO dirty that I couldn't even see out the windows, so at 6am I went to the car wash and there was already a line of 5 cars ahead of me at 6am!! The joys of living in Arizona!

While growing up in California, I never knew Arizona had Dust storms or Monsoon seasons or flash floods. I just knew it was HOT. I remember right when I moved here, I looked out my parents kitchen window and all I saw was a huge black cloud in the distance. For a couple seconds I thought I needed to start praying and running for the hills, it was that bad! When I asked my mom what the hell was going on, she said,
"Oh it's just a Monsoon."...
"WTF is a Monsoon?! Aren't those in Thailand or something?!".
My mom thought this was funny but I never once learned about Arizona having Monsoons in my California classes.

Apparently during the summer months, Arizona weather can change from extremely hot to 20 degrees cooler, one inch of rain, and strong winds, all in 30 minutes. It pours so much in such a short amount of time that it floods all the streets and freeways. This is when you see the dumbass people who try to cross flooded streets and get rescued on TV. Arizona even has a "stupid motorist law" (thats the real name too) to make these people pay hefty fines.

This particular dust storm, "Haboob", was 10,000ft high and 50 miles across... That's pretty big! Imagine looking out your window and seeing this come at you!

No comments:

Post a Comment