Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Weekend Update

Work is pissing me off lately. This was the second time I've been screwed because I'm the only manager who doesn't have a kid. I've made a life changing decision after the past week at work... I'm going to rent a kid next time they want to screw me over! Take that!!

I've read a couple things lately about dogs becoming almost like nurses when a person gets sick. A couple years ago when I had my tonsils taken out, my mom couldn't stay with me for work purposes, so she brought me back to their house in Vegas. About a year before that, my parents had some friends who were relocating out of state and couldn't take their beagle dog with them until their house was ready. Since my parents live on a couple acres of land, the friends asked if my parents could take care of the dog. My parents being the nice people try are, said sure no problem. Something happened and they never wanted the dog back so my parents inherited this beagle, "Abby". So when I stayed after my surgery, this dog who has only met me about 2 times before, slept by my side for the entire 2 weeks I was there. My stepdad was jealous because the dog is usually attached to his hip, was now attached to me. I spent 2 weeks not speaking or making any noises because it hurt too much. I had my laptop on one side of me and Abby on the other side. On the rare occasions that I got up to use the bathroom or to get some Gatorade, Abby followed me like my shadow. When I woke up in the middle of the night because my scabs came off too early and my throat was bleeding and wouldn't stop so I had to wake my mom to take me to the ER, Abby was not going to be left behind. Before we could stop her, she jumped into the car with us and stayed in the car the entire time we were at the hospital. Towards the end of the 2 weeks, I was starting to feel better and started walking around more, and Abby decided she was done taking care of me and went back to my stepdad.

I also made some Enchiladas for B and I to enjoy. I'm pretty sure this was my first time making them and we thought they were delicious!

Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

5 ounces cream cheese, softened (I use the whole package)
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups prepared salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese, divided
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 8-inch flour tortillas

1. Preheat oven 325 degrees.

2. In a medium bowl cream together cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa. Stir in 1/2 cup of each type of cheese.

3. In a second bowl toss together the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and half of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.

4. Spread about 1/2 cup salsa in the bottom of a baking dish. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup filling on a tortilla, roll up and put in dish seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas.

5. Pour remaining salsa over enchiladas, spreading to coat all of them. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Transfer to preheated oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve warm.






No comments:

Post a Comment