Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Meet The Parents


     Yesterday I made some Challah bread, even though I'm not Jewish. I found this recipe about a year ago and this is the best tasting bread I've ever had! I'm sure it's extra tasty only because I sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top. It tastes like a cinnamon roll without the frosting. "T" loved it. I walked into the kitchen to hear him saying, "Oh that's good! Oh! It's so delicious!" I couldn't help but laugh at him and he turned a nice shade of pink when he found out that I heard what he said.
     The main reason why I baked yesterday was because I was super nervous. I tend to bake and cook when I'm nervous and last night I was meeting "T's" parents. "T" has spent a lot of time prepping me for this so I felt pretty confident but everyone gets a little nervous before an interview. Sunday "T" and I spent the morning running to Bevmo, Trader Joe's and Total Wine and More to find a perfect wine for me to give them. I already knew I wanted to do a White wine since I don't like red. I just couldn't decide if I wanted to do an Australian wine (since they're from Australia) or a Californian wine (since I'm from California)... in the end we went with an Italian Pinot Grigio since we had it a couple weeks ago and we both made a comment on how good it was and it only cost $6! The plan was to first meet at his parents house, sit around the backyard fire pit, have a couple drinks and then go to Team Trivia night at a local bar. "T" and I show up at his parents and his mom automatically pops open my bottle of wine and we sit by the fireplace. At 7pm it's like only 70 degrees outside and I'm sitting next to a fire... this wouldn't have been so bad if I could have pushed my chair back a little but it was a cement bench and so I had to sit there sweating like a pig at a luau while getting drilled with questions. It was a long 30 minutes to say the least. Once we got to the bar, "T" and his parents started talking trash about the other teams. I knew they loved trivia but I didn't know they took it seriously! I'll admit that I was a little intimidated and was starting to second guess my trivia knowledge but when I was the only one in our team that knew the first answer, I felt more confident. Come on, who doesn't know "what rapper said that George W Bush didn't care about black people after Hurricane Katrina happened?" I pretty much carried the team during the first half of the game but the second half, no one knew the answers so we came in 4th place out of 9 teams. On the drive home "T" said that his parents totally love me and I'm totally in the circle of trust. I asked how he knew and he said, "When we first got to my parents and my dad asked me to help get more wine, my dad mentioned that my taste has improved and again when you went to the bathroom at the bar my dad told me not to screw this up and my mom did her smile and nodded." I sat back with a happy and content look on my face... I aced the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment