Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Letter 7... To My Best Friend

     I've known you since we were 2 years old. We grew up together. We stuck together through the highs and lows of life. We were best friends who lived at each others houses and were a part of each others families. We were best friends who dated guys who were also best friends. We thought nothing could tear us apart until I found out your secret. Your stories weren't adding up about this new guy you were seeing. I remember the day like it was yesterday. You finally slipped and said a different guys name. MY guys name. You finally told me the truth, you were sleeping with the guy I was dating. I didn't talk to you for a month. I finally got over it because I wasn't really into the guy anyways. I was still hurting inside though. Later that year, I was dating a new Italian guy and was happy in my new relationship. You and I were drifting apart because I was so busy with school, work and my new man. I decided to have you and your new mystery man over for a dinner, like a double date. When I went to your house to invite you, I found out you were dating one of my Ex's. Wow... I can't even begin to describe my shock. It wasn't long before I found out that you always had a crush on him even when I was dating him. That was the turning point in our friendship. My eyes were finally wide open and I could finally see what kind of person you turned into. I couldn't have that in my life.
     Flash forward 6 years and here we are. We still talk on occassion but nothing like it used to be. I want you to know that you were my childhood best friend, but I can't give the Best Friend title to you anymore. I have a new adult best friend, and she's great. We used to work together and we've been through a lot. She was there for me during my whole medical issues and I was there for her during her divorce. We laugh and cry together. She can cheer me up even on my darkest days. We can say anything to each other and we won't take it personally. She's exactly the type of friend I need right now in my adult life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment