Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Best Bread Ever

I made some Challah bread Tuesday and it was delicious as usual. I totally forgot how much the recipe makes so unless you plan on making it for 10 people, you'll want to half the recipe. I originally made this about a year ago when the Ex and I were still together. I thought since he's Jewish that I'd make some sort of Jewish food for him... Little did I know I made it during Passover when they aren't allowed to eat bread... Oops! He still ate it because he's not strict and it did win extra points with his overbearing Jewish mother.

CHALLAH BREAD

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons instant active dry yeast
5 cups flour, plus additional flour (may take 8 or 9 cups of flour total)

Directions
1. Combine ingredients in a large bowl in order listed. Add enough flour and knead to make a smooth dough. Knead for approximately 10 minutes.
2. Oil top of bread and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down.
3. **Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 14-15" long and an inch in diameter.
4.Take 3 pieces and braid it and set aside. Grab the other 3 pieces and braid them.
5. Place braids on greased baking sheets and cover. Let rise in a warm place for 25-30 minutes.
6. Brush with beaten eggs and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until done. (If loaves are on two separate sheets, rotate halfway through baking time for even baking.) If loaves start to brown too quickly, loosely lay a piece of foil on top. Cool on wire racks, covered.
NOTE: I spread melted butter and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top once it comes out of the oven.




No comments:

Post a Comment